Friday, October 12, 2018

Weather Update 2: 18 & Over 4.5 USTA Nationals day 1 not finished yet, rain forecast for the next 24 hours

I wrote earlier that the USTA League Nationals in Arlington, TX had rain forecast and were preemptively going to a modified Fast-4 format to shorten match times and try and get the matches in.

Unfortunately, there were rain delays today and despite the short format, the matches scheduled for day 1 are not yet complete, let alone getting ahead for day 2.  Picture to the right is from a Facebook follower at the event that posted it.

Worse, the forecast for the next 24+ hours is pretty much solid rain.  There may be a brief break later tonight, and perhaps players stick around to try and finish a few more matches, but as of right now, from 6am to 6pm tomorrow, the chance of rain is at least 75% every hour and it only drops to 50% by 11pm Saturday.  But the break appears brief as Sunday's forecast is for more rain.



I'm not sure what the contingency plan is, but I hope it doesn't come down to flipping coins to decide winners or declaring co-champs again like was done last year at one of the weather affected events.  But I think they need to at least complete the round-robin to even be able to declare co-champs?

Perhaps whenever they call it and scores are in, they'll ask me to simulate the remainder of the matches to declare the semi-finalists?  I'm not holding my breath but will probably do the simulation anyway!

Update: I hear there may be some indoor courts that can be used, I have no idea how many or for what period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment