Sunday, November 30, 2014

News Flash - USTA League 2014 year-end ratings may not be out on Monday!

USTA League year-end ratings have usually be released on the Monday after Thanksgiving, at least the past few years.  We've all assumed it would happen that way again this year, but I just learned the ratings release may be delayed a day or two so don't expect to see them on Monday.

The reason?  Adult Nationals have finished up around the end of October the past few years which gives the USTA a full four, sometimes five, weeks to do all the year-end calculations.  This year they were played through November 9th which leaves only three weeks to meet the same Monday after Thanksgiving deadline.  My guess is that was a little too tight which is causing the delay.

So expect the ratings to be out on Tuesday or Wednesday this week, but I imagine it could be later if something goes wrong or there are complications.  And I suppose there is a chance they are still out on Monday but from what I hear that isn't the case.

That means there is still time to get an Estimated Dynamic NTRP Rating Report if you are anxious to know where your rating might end up or just want to see more details on how your matches rated individually and how your rating progressed throughout the year.  That isn't to say getting a report after ratings come out isn't useful, last year I did a bunch for players that wanted to know why they were/weren't bumped.

Or, if you are a captain and looking to recruit players and don't want to wait to find out what level a player is going to be, I can do team reports or lists of ratings to help captains decide who to recruit.

Contact me if you are interested in any reports or leave a comment on the blog if you have any questions.

20 comments:

  1. Our section head said to expect Monday or Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I also heard from a USTA employee, we'll see which is correct!

      Delete
  2. I just heard that USTA South Carolina tweeted that it will be Tuesday as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it is all done by computer why does it take 4-5 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent question. I assume there must be some manual steps or review processes that must be performed.

      Delete
    2. Kevin, you wrote in "USTA League NTRP Benchmark calculations and why playoff results carry more weight" that the computer took a month to figure out year-end ratings because of the ripple effect calculations that would have to be done after Nationals. Do you still think that's the reason why it takes so long?

      Delete
    3. I think that has to be the reason, plus any review or other processes they have that aren't just a computer crunching numbers.

      Delete
  4. There was a comment made at mixed Nationals captains meeting that it would be Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has the ratings come out? On My TennisLink page my rating stayed the same but it used to say "My Year End Rating Date" now it just asks if I want to appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will be out tomorrow if all goes as planned.

      Delete
  6. i wish they would come out already. i have a player who is driving me nuts because he went 2-0 at nationals and does'nt want to be moved up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin, How will we know when they come out if my rating does not change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you look up your rating on TennisLink, it should have a date of 12/31/2014 once the new ratings are posted.

      Delete
  8. Anyone knows what time the ratings are usually released? Is it in the AM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I've heard at this point is probably (hopefully) tomorrow/Tuesday.

      Delete
  9. Is there a phased roll-out? For example, my ratings shows 4.0 but also shows Computer rated even though I should be a benchmark due to advancing to 2014 playoffs (and playing). Is the rating now final, or will there still be updates adjusting for the Benchmark players impact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be a phased roll-out, but if your rating says 12/31/2014 I'd think it is your rating. You won't see a "B" anymore as while benchmark calculations are still done, the USTA isn't publishing the "B" this year.

      Delete
  10. There are some bizarre things going on in the PNW ratings with virtually all the players on every sectional men's 4.5 team bumped to 5.0. It appears they have bumped each players ratings .25 of ONLY these teams making some ridiculous 5.0s.

    ReplyDelete