Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pacific Northwest 2014 USTA Early Start Ratings Predictions - Northwest Washington

Early start ratings for the Pacific Northwest are due out tomorrow, and it is always fun to see if my ratings agree.  As a reminder, these ratings are used to determine the level a player can play at for the 2015 leagues that start play early, e.g. in the late summer/fall of 2014.

In the spirit of that fun, here are some players that my ratings say should be bumped up on the early start list for the Northwest Washington district.

NameCurrentBump
Elisabeth Beebe3.5Up
Jill Hawkins3.0Up
Barbara Smith3.5Up
Badrinath Vengalathur3.5Up
Brad Bennett3.0Up
Bruce Bethards3.5Up
Terry Ward3.0Up
Dan Wu2.5Up
Traci Lynch3.0Up
Michael LaMoria3.0Up
Mark Ball4.0Up
Paula Holtzclaw3.0Up
Sana Watterson3.5Up
Petra Schuler4.0Up
Patty Terhar2.5Up
Maria Recchi3.0Up
Susan Shinoda3.5Up
Mara Vinnedge3.5Up
Mark Metcalf2.5Up

I'll let you know how I do predicting tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, my whole Northwest team was bumped. I'm a benchwarmer on the team and was bumped. Looks like they cleared out the whole division.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the team or what district/level? I doubt there was any blanket bump up, early start ratings in particular should just be a snapshot of the dynamic ratings on a given date, so there must have been match results to justify it.

      Delete
    2. We are 2.5's. My club is a stones throw from yours (MC), we came in second in our league. I know these rankings are unofficial but when I look on the TLS website they have me at a 2.18, and the people I beat are all lower than that, some in the mid 1's. Even the loss I have was against lower level competition. I just think its weird that our whole team was moved up.

      Delete
    3. I took a quick look and it looks l like at least a bunch of bumps were justified. And you are certainly higher than 2.18 so TLS is way off on you there. But 2.5s with a large number that are self-rated are difficult to rate.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for taking a look Kevin. I play agianst the guys on my team all the time and find myself thinking, "If this is 2.5's then it's going to take years for me to get bumped to 3.0." So maybe I have a false impression on where I stand based on my teams hierarchy, which apparently does not coincide in relation to the rest of the league.
    I was pretty sure the first stringers were going to get bumped and us second stringers would then move up into their spots next year.

    ReplyDelete