Saturday, August 3, 2013

Some interesting USTA League stats - Players by NTRP level

As a by product of generating individual and team Estimated Dynamic NTRP Rating reports, I have a fair amount of data from which I can calculate some interesting statistics.

A Talk Tennis thread on sandbagging turned into a discussion about how Atlanta and the San Francisco Bay Area compared and I posted some stats on how many players there were by level from each area.  I thought it would be interested to take a look at the same stats for all the data I have and here it is.

  • 2.5- - 5%
  • 3.0 - 21%
  • 3.5 - 36%
  • 4.0 - 28%
  • 4.5 - 9%
  • 5.0+ - 1%

USTA League Players by Rating (%)

These numbers are probably not a surprise, but it is still interesting to see them for real.  The 3.5 level has the most players followed by 4.0 and then 3.0.

Do you have another stat you'd like me to post?  Leave a comment and let me know.

Note: These stats are for about half the sections in the USTA but are from a large enough data set that they are probably representative of USTA participation as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. You're sandbagging if the NTRP Guidelines do not pretty much describe your strengths and weaknesses. Pretty much everyone these days is sandbagging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are using a pretty liberal definition of sandbagging. And I think only a small percentage of players are sandbagging at most levels, especially at the 3.5 and 4.0 levels where the majority of players are.

      Delete