Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Appealing a USTA NTRP Rating - Successes and what it says about estimated ratings accuracy

I wrote about the new rules for appealing year-end ratings and I've received feedback from quite a few of you about your success in having appeals granted.  Some have wanted to be bumped up while others bumped down and both groups have been able to accomplish their goal.

What is especially interesting is finding out when someone successfully appeals, as that provides an opportunity to validate the estimated ratings I have for a player.  Since there are ranges for appeals to be granted, finding out when one is lets me know if my rating was close or not.

Here are a few I heard about the past couple of days:

  • A self-rated 3.5 was bumped up to 4.0 but was able to appeal down to 3.5.  They'd played 6 matches so their range was 0.06 and my rating was 3.56 which was within that range.
  • A self-rated 3.5 wasn't bumped up to 4.0 but was able to appeal up.  The range for this is 0.04 and I had their rating at 3.45 so just 0.01 off from being right.
  • A 3.5 wasn't bumped up to 4.0 but was able to appeal up.  I had their rating at 3.52 so just 0.02 off from being right.
  • A 3.0 wasn't bumped up to 3.5 but was able to appeal up.  I had their rating at 2.99 which is within the range.
I generally aim to have my estimates within 0.05 of the actual rating, so all of these are within that.  And potentially each of these ratings are no more than 0.02 off from the actual rating.

Seeing that my ratings are this accurate great.  See this earlier post on other observations on accuracy.

And if you think you are close and tried to appeal, let me know if you did or didn't have it granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment