Monday, November 30, 2015

Some initial thoughts on 2015 USTA year-end NTRP ratings

The 2015 USTA year-end NTRP ratings are out and while much more analysis is coming, here are a few quick observations.

I have not seen evidence or heard others indicating significant adjustments like was done last year.  For the most part, what I'm seeing for my club and others I know, as well as what folks are reporting to me, is in line with my expectations and what my ratings predicted.  Where my ratings have missed, it has almost always been just a few hundredths off.

One where I as farther off was a local player double bumped from 4.0 to 5.0 that played mostly 4.0 but did win a couple 4.5 matches.  They certainly should have been bumped to 4.5, but the double bump almost sounds administrative.

Then I missed on a few players on a team in Southern, but it was somewhat explained by their playoff results carrying extra weight, and the fact that the team from their section at their division/level did make the semis at Nationals and that can trickle back to local areas pulling ratings up.

More to come.

8 comments:

  1. What do you mean by administrative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The USTA can and will bump players up or down either on their own or in response to grievances/appeals that are filed. These would all be administrative as they are not based purely on the calculated ratings.

      Delete
  2. Not trying to be a wise guy, but is this fact or opinion: "The USTA can and will bump players up or down either on their own or in response to grievances/appeals that are filed"? If a player has been administratively bumped up are they notified by the USTA? I.e., Dear Tennis Player, The USTA realizes that you have lost more than 75% of your matches this year at your current level but the USTA has made an admisitrative decision to increase your NTRP level .5 points higher. We hope you enjoy getting your tailgate kicked as penalty for the grievances filed against you during the 2015 season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not common, I've only heard of it happening in rare circumstances and some players have fought it and gotten it reversed, but I have heard of it happening. In a couple cases it has been where players were tanking matches and in others where a player had self-rated incorrectly in prior years and their C rating did not preclude an administrative bump up.

      Delete
  3. Did they change the whole Benchmark process? I'm only finding a small number of people with the B designation (and many who went to nationals without it) and it seems like anybody that beat a B player got bumped up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is the benchmark calculations are still done as before, but players no longer receive the "B" designation on their rating. Any that you still see are likely players who still have a 2013 or earlier year-end rating. See http://computerratings.blogspot.com/2014/12/what-happened-to-usta-ntrp-benchmark-or.html where I wrote about this change.

      Delete
    2. You are right, thanks. The person I was looking for added a middle initial and thus was listed twice, though I didn't notice it.

      Delete