Wednesday, September 30, 2020

More on the effects of the USTA not publishing 2020 year-end NTRP ratings

The USTA announced a couple weeks ago that they would not be publishing year-end NTRP ratings for 2020.  I wrote up my thoughts on the effects of this and the pros and cons, and that garnered a number of comments and other actions.

First, I've seen some comments on my blog and in other forums that are worth mentioning.  Here are a few quotes:
"It's nice if your team can stick together, but should this really happen if there's players wrongly rated on it?"
"I guess you can see some crazy strong teams come 2021. ... and then S rated players that were probably right on target that have improved a lot and may not be rated correctly."
"That's the thing, though. I played three matches after the ratings came out that should have put me back below the threshold. Sucks that I can't appeal down, because I belong at the lower rating."
"WOOHOO! "
"happy for you and bummed for others." 
"USTA leagues can be quite a shady business. I'm surprised Nationals wants to add to it and make it worse than a normal year next year by not publishing. Why not fix the current problems with ratings at the very least?"
"What I expected, but I had hoped they would bump those that were clearly out of level (up and down) as well as give C ratings to any S rated player with at least 3 matches."
"I’d have rather they bumped folks up and down at the end of the year. If they say that the number of matches were down, well, that just means not many people will get bumped. But the folks who cleaned up or need a bump down who have lost all season should get bumped imo."
"I should have been bumped to 4.5 but I guess at least I will get a chance to go to nationals next year (if they are held)"

Clearly a mix of reactions, some were excited about keeping teams together but think the USTA should have published 2020 year-end ratings which is consistent with the poll I did earlier in the year.

Next, there are some players out there that felt strongly enough about the lack of ratings being the wrong choice that they've written a an open letter to the USTA encouraging others to send it or otherwise express their opinion to the USTA at customercare@usta.com.  I also encourage anyone with an opinion agreeing or disagreeing with the decision to e-mail your feedback or let your League Coordinator know what you think.

Last, Rich Neher re-published my effects blog in his Tennis Club Business newsletter.  Thanks Rich!


No comments:

Post a Comment