Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Breaking News for Seattle! New league for 2019 and wildcard weekend for 2019 Northwest Washington local playoffs

I just wrote about the upcoming 18 & Over local playoffs taking place in Seattle this weekend, and I happened upon the 2019 league schedule that has been posted.

For the most part, the schedule is the same as we are accustom to.

Adult 55 & Over and Mixed 18 & Over are both early start leagues that will be play September thru November/December with playoffs at the start of December.

Adult 40 & Over as well as 18 & Over will be played as this year, January thru March and March thru June respectively.  Similarly, Mixed 40 & Over will be June thru August like this year, One Doubles will be a Summer league, 65 & Over will be in the Spring, and Mixed 55 & Over will be in the summer.

But there are two big new things that have shown up on the schedule.

First is a new 18-39 coed league.  As noted above, those over the age of 40 have their Adult league the first three months of the year, but those under 40 are left out.  This new league will be run during the same period and use the World Team Tennis format of doubles for men and women, singles for men and women, and a mixed doubles match, so 5 matches total.

Alas, I'm over 40 so won't be able to take part, but I'll be interested to see how the league goes and what participation is.  I think this league is being rolled out in other areas and sections too so I'll write more about it as I learn more, but please contact me or leave a comment with what you think or if your area is adopting this league.

Update: I wrote more on this 18-39 league here.

Second, our local playoffs for Adult 18 & Over and 40 & Over were a bit smaller this year with fewer sub-flight second place teams advancing, but this appears to be going back to normal with all second place teams advancing.  In order to accomplish this there will be a new "Wildcard Weekend" a week before the local playoffs actually take place and complete.  Expanding the time the matches can be played over makes more courts available which I think is a great way to address the issue.  Thanks Jill for listening to feedback and coming up with a solution!

My understanding is that the wildcard weekend will be played more like local league matches at the home team's respective facility and not part of a block of matches at a designated playoff site as the actual playoffs will continue to be.  I don't see a problem with this and hope, and think it will, works well.

What do you think?  Do you like these changes?  I have to say I do as they are great ways to provide more playing opportunities for players in our area, and other areas that adopt similar approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment