Thursday, November 15, 2018

Weather Update: Getting _to_ USTA League Nationals!

Normally I give an update on the weather at the site for a Nationals weekend.  This weekend in Orlando the weather looks very good, 70s and sunny.  However, getting to Orlando may be the issue.  With a winter storm hitting the Northeast, I'm hearing of delayed and even cancelled flights.

I'm not sure what the contingency plan is if a team just can't make it.  They could just give all opponents default wins, or just not include the match in the standings, both have a different effect on how teams would be identified for the semis.

Ideally, if a team were to be missing, the schedule would get redone without the team so that all teams still play four matches.  With the schedule simulation work I've done, I know I could do that in minutes, not sure if the USTA is prepared to or not.

I do hope it doesn't come to that though.  Here's hoping everyone's flights go as scheduled or alternate plans can be found to get all the teams there on-time.

Safe travels everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment