Friday, October 4, 2019

The Pacific Northwest Section confirms 4 court format, 1 singles / 3 doubles, for USTA League 40 & Over for 2020

An e-mail went out from the Seattle League Coordinator to captains today confirming the new 4-court Nationals format for 40 & Over will be used for our 40 & Over leagues.  I believe this decision applies to the entire section.

While the format is what will be used at Nationals, sections still have the flexibility to use alternate formats for local league play up through Sectionals, but I'm guessing many will follow National's lead and it appears PNW is one of those.

As a reminder, I wrote earlier this week about the new format with my thoughts on the drivers for the change and some pros and cons as well as a poll for you to voice your opinion.  I also did some research on what leagues would have looked like in 2019 had this format been used, and how often teams would have tied 2-2 and how often the tie-breakers in place would have not broken the tie.

I have reached out to ask how ties that are not broken will be handled, I'll be sure to write about any responses I get.

If you didn't vote in the poll asking for your preference between the old and new formats, you can still vote.

But I welcome your comments here or on Facebook as well.

If you are a captain, how will this change how you form your roster?  Will you have fewer singles players rostered?  Will your roster be smaller since you only need 7 players for a team match?

If you are a singles player, are you less likely to join a team if you think they already have 2-3 singles players?

If you are a doubles player, will you be worried your playing time may go down as singles players switch to doubles to be able to play?

No comments:

Post a Comment