Monday, December 1, 2014

2014 USTA League year-end ratings are out - No more "B" ratings

USTA League 2014 year-end ratings have been or are being published on TennisLink.

My initial checks are that my estimates and reports are accurate for the vast majority of players, but I've missed on a few that are really baffling.

The most baffling is a 4.0 that didn't play up and went 10-2 but had two losses in playoffs that got bumped up, no surprise, but to 5.0!

I'll share more strange ones as I see them.

But one thing I should have blogged about and didn't is that while benchmark calculations are still being done, players are not going to have the "B" designation anymore.  I'm not sure why the USTA changed this, but they did and it was in a newsletter I saw a few months ago.

9 comments:

  1. I went over my league pretty thoroughly(Northern Oregon 4.5) and the one thing I can safely say is Sectionals were weighted a lot more than in years past. I believe we had 36 players get bumped to 5.0 where in years past it was usually less than 10. We had one incredibly strong team(CGM) who basically got the whole team bumped. At least all the starters. Not sure about other sections, though. Thank you for doing a great job on this website BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a lot of players bumped to 4.5 and 5.0 this year from PNW. We must have done well in nationals.

      Delete
    2. PNW did do well at Nationals and whether it was supported by benchmark calculations or manually done, it appears to have resulted in a larger than normal set of bump ups. Hearing the same in NorCal and seems like Texas. Perhaps the USTA really is trying to even the playing field so non-traditional powers can do well at Nationals in 2015.

      Delete
  2. A lot of bumps in SoCal too. I'm thinking they are trying to even out the levels like they did a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An 3.5 player went 0-5 for whole season and only played 3.5 league. Some of the lost are 0&1. And he got bumped up to 4.0.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like the victim of a mass bump up, or must have played with really weak partners against strong competition.

      Delete
  4. I played in the PNW in 2013 and in Mid-Atlantic in 2014 - both as a 4.0. I did much better in Mid-Atlantic and got bumped to 4.5. There is no way I would be a 4.5 in the PNW, but no surprised I am in Mid-Atlantic. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your system has been proven wrong. You need to come out with more authentic algorithm and results. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete