Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The 2022 Rating Year is Done!

The 2022 USTA League Nationals are not yet complete, there are still two weekends of Mixed Nationals to go, but Adult Nationals are now complete, and this year that means we are past the cut-off date and all matches that will count for year-end ratings have been played.

There has been some confusion the past couple weeks over what the date was.  I understood the date to be October 30, when the last Adult Nationals was completed, but most everyone I was hearing from was saying the were being told it would be November 13th, when the last Mixed Nationals would be finished.  I was pretty confident in 10/30 being the real cut-off but wasn't sure why the 11/13 date was being shared as the date.

This is by no means the final word, but I'd reached out to a coordinator and was initially told it was 11/13, but then was told that the cut-off date is indeed 10/30, but that there is a grace period to get matches entered and that date is 11/13.  Assuming this is the case, it is possible that 11/13 being the cut-off date for entry but the cut-off date for matches to be played was 10/30 was confusing and misunderstood and thus miscommunicated.

Also adding to the confusion is that last year the cut-off date was the last day of Mixed Nationals (11/14) and so one might logically conclude it would follow the same pattern this year.  However, to the best of my knowledge, all other recent years have followed the pattern of the last day of Adult Nationals and it appears last year was a one-time experiment with a later date, but we are back to the previous pattern.

So, I'm going with this past Sunday 10/30 as the cut-off date.  Apologies to anyone that I may have told 11/13 being the date, but I'm pretty sure I said I thought that might be wrong but what was being shared with a number of players.

9 comments:

  1. Do you know why the USTA chose a later date including mixed nationals last years? And why they have chosen not to keep it the same this year as last year?

    I'd think that they should always include the mixed nationals results for ratings. While most players will be C players at mixed nationals, there'd still be a lot of M players, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think last year going through Mixed Nationals was the oddball. All others I'm aware of were the end of Adult Nationals.

      Delete
  2. How confident are you in the 10/30 cut off date now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If current dynamic rating as per tennisrecord.com is 3.62, yr end would be 3.5 or 4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't vouch for their accuracy (or lack thereof), but the ranges are 3.01-3.50 is a 3.5 and 3.51 to 4.00 is a 4.0.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kevin!

      Delete
  4. Is it possible to get correct latest ratings from somewhere, other than tennirecord.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several things.

      First, I do reports that give my estimated ratings for players along with a host of other stats and a chart, see the side-bar to the right for the example report. Contact me at ratings@teravation.net if interested.

      Second, my ratings, and any others you find on the Web, will not be "correct" as the USTA does not publish their ratings other than the levels to a half point at the end of each year. While my ratings are quite accurate, and more accurate than any other out there in my experience, they aren't perfect and I would never say they are.

      Delete